Thursday, January 17, 2013

Colliding Conversations

{Many of the posts on this blog have the potential to arise passions and/or offend some, due to the honest viewpoint that is given. While this is not the intention of the author, it is understood as a byproduct of honesty and simply will happen when contrasts are made, such as today.}

While I have known for some time that there can be differences in the type and kind of conversations people engage in that appear to be linked to their worship style, it recently became very apparent as I spent a day with 'the other side'. While liturgical worship has deep historical roots, the social aspect of many of the same type of churches tends to be similar to other social networks in the community. Part of this may be based upon the overwhelming grace contained in the doctrinal belief of this type of church.

On the other side, many Neodenominational churches include a social aspect as well, where part of the expected cultural norm is to be frequently discussing spiritual things. There is often heavy emphasis placed on sharing the gospel and having spiritual conversations, as well as discussing the progress or lack thereof in winning others over to the faith. While certainly some liturgical folks also engage in similar conversations, the focus appears to be more on living a life of faith in front of others.

During the commute to this recent networking gig, the contrast surprised me a bit at first as I found myself noticing these differences. Given a few miles and some more tea, I quickly reengaged with that part of my identity as a Christian. Through the course of the day I found myself more easily able to engage with the old lingo. I was also tremendously encouraged by the time we spent praying for one another's ministries and needs, after some time of introduction. Overall it was a wonderfully refreshing and encouraging day for which I was grateful to be invited to. Again I was reminded of just how much of a missionary I really am.

Even the church who was hosting us had a bit of the same story to tell about the decline denominations are facing, as they have shrunken considerably from what they formerly were and are struggling to find a new identity and audience. The gigantic old sanctuary had been re-purposed mostly as an over-sized storage room, and the church meets instead in the old foyer. I do not believe denominations will die entirely, for they hold some important viewpoints that balance one anther in this contrasting world we call our faith. I do believe many will need to find new ways to connect the coming generations if they are to succeed, and there is simultaneously a move back to more traditional liturgical churches that is beginning to take root in our culture. Sometimes people still want church to be church, and not just another fast paced entertainment venue. God help us all maintain our identities according to his good purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment